Fetch view hierarchy in paused mode

Ortwin Gentz

06 Apr, 2017 12:43 PM

I love Reveal but are frequently in situations where I can't use it and have to fallback on Xcode's view hierarchy debugging tool.

Particularly, I miss the ability to debug animations in Reveal. Currently, I set a breakpoint in -viewWillAppear:, -viewWillLayoutSubviews and the like. Then I want to analyze the view state in exactly that point in time. When I continue the app, the animations run and I can't observe this state anymore.

Ideally, I'd like to see an LLDB command that transfers the current view hierarchy to the Reveal app. Then I could call this command from an auto-continue break point and let the app run normally.

Even better would be a solution where Reveal would control the speed of the animation (think Simulator's "Slow Animations" but even slower!) and let me scrub back and forth through the global timeline and observe how the view hierarchy changes over time. Not sure if you could hack something together by playing with window.layer.speed?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Vlas Voloshin on 07 Apr, 2017 12:41 AM

Hi Ortwin,

Thanks for your feedback! Being able to inspect your app in Reveal while it's paused in the debugger is something we have on our list of potential improvements. Unfortunately, Reveal hasn't been originally designed to support such use case, so adding this feature might require a lot of effort. Similarly, being able to inspect animations and even have a "scrubbable" timeline sounds like a great feature to have – but not something too simple to implement. We'll definitely be considering both in future, though!

Best regards,
    Vlas.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac