Some suggestions to make this app usable

Marcus

07 Oct, 2014 06:29 AM

I just bought this app in order to identify a screen layout issue.

Unfortunately, I had to find it the hard way (trying and debugging over and over) and recently I thought I can use Reveal to help with dimension estimation which also doesn't really turned out to be possible with reveal. So here is my wish-list for an update:

• Reveal doesn't work correctly when the app is in landscape mode. This is a major issue.
  • Mouse hovering on the screenshot view should show the actual position in screen and ideally underlying frame coordinates in a status bar
  • Mouse hovering or clicking on the screenshot should select the correct (topmost) view in the outline view
  • When selecting a view in the outline view, it is hard to recognize in the screenshot which view was actually selected. It should be maybe temporary framed in red or something easier to locate

If I would have the source code of this app, I would add many more improvements that would make our developer's live easier as there is much potential in it.

For the time being, I won't use it again until at least the first three points of the above list will be implemented.

So let's wait and see...

Regards,

Marcus

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Sean Woodhouse on 07 Oct, 2014 11:14 PM

Hi Marcus,

You'll be aware that we have a fully functional 30 day trial, so I hope that would have given you enough time to evaluate Reveal for your purposes.

Reveal doesn't work correctly when the app is in landscape mode. This is a major issue.

Could you please send us the versions of Reveal, OSX and which iOS version you're running on. Also, could you please provide more detail on what's not working for you. A screenshot would be great too.

Mouse hovering on the screenshot view should show the actual position in screen and ideally underlying frame coordinates in a status bar.

We have plans for something like this in a future release. You might want to check out Xscope (http://xscopeapp.com/) in the interim.

Mouse hovering or clicking on the screenshot should select the correct (topmost) view in the outline view

Hover and selection is consistent between the outline view and the canvas. Could you please provide an example screenshot of what you're seeing and what you expect the behaviour to be?

When selecting a view in the outline view, it is hard to recognize in the screenshot which view was actually selected. It should be maybe temporary framed in red or something easier to locate.

Currently the selected view is outlined with a blue highlight, but I take your point that sometimes it can be hard to see. In those situations you might want to consider switching the canvas to only show wireframes (Canvas > Frames or ⌘1).

We really appreciate your feedback and let me reassure you that we're working hard to continually improve Reveal.

Cheers

Sean

2. 2 Posted by marcus.roskosch on 08 Oct, 2014 06:07 AM

Hi Sean,

thanks for your mail. Here is my response (see below in blue) and the
    screenshot is attached.

Best regards

Marcus

Hi Marcus,

You'll be aware that we have a fully functional 30 day trial, so I hope
    that would have given you enough time to evaluate Reveal for your purposes.

Yes, thanks but it's not the money I am after. I am looking for a great
    tool.

Reveal doesn't work correctly when the app is in landscape mode.
        This is a major issue.

Could you please send us the versions of Reveal, OSX and which iOS
    version you're running on. Also, could you please provide more detail on
    what's not working for you. A screenshot would be great too.

Reveal version 1.0.5 (2328), OSX Version 10.9.5, XCode version 6.0.1
    (6A317), iOS Version 8.0 (in the Simulator). Screenshot is attached. On
    the right, you can see the simulator. On the left how it looks in reveal.

Mouse hovering on the screenshot view should show the actual
        position in screen and ideally underlying frame coordinates in a
        status bar.

We have plans for something like this in a future release. You might
    want to check out Xscope (http://xscopeapp.com/) in the interim.

Yes, would be great to see such a feature in reveal. Xscope doesn't seem
    to help as it just works on flat screenshots and doesn't regard
    individual overlapping views.

Mouse hovering or clicking on the screenshot should select the
        correct (topmost) view in the outline view

Hover and selection is consistent between the outline view and the
    canvas. Could you please provide an example screenshot of what you're
    seeing and what you expect the behaviour to be?

I was able to track this down a bit further for you: When viewing in 3D
    mode and shifting the screenshot in your app a bit, I can select
    individual views as expected. However in 2D mode that's not possible. It
    looks as you accidentally don't regard the existence of invisible views.
    For instance, there is a UITextEffectsWindow on top of all windows/views
    and very time when I select any position on the screenshot in Reveal, it
    just selects this UITextEffectsWindow instead of the underlying main
    View, NavigationBar etc. I clicked on. So I would suggest to ignore such
    "technical" views, which are generated by iOS automatically when looking
    for the view where a user clicked. It also seems you don't regard the
    hidden and enabled flags of the views when looking for the selected view.

When selecting a view in the outline view, it is hard to recognize
        in the screenshot which view was actually selected. It should be
        maybe temporary framed in red or something easier to locate.

Currently the selected view is outlined with a blue highlight, but I
    take your point that sometimes it can be hard to see. In those
    situations you might want to consider switching the canvas to only show
    wireframes (Canvas > Frames or ⌘1).

Canvas don't help much but my issue I have here is mostly related the
    the aforementioned issue but I would appreciate if you could add some
    kind of animated highlight here. But to be honest, this is not a major
    point whereas the others are.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Sean Woodhouse on 09 Oct, 2014 06:28 AM

Reveal version 1.0.5 (2328), OSX Version 10.9.5, XCode version 6.0.1 (6A317), iOS Version 8.0 (in the Simulator). Screenshot is attached. On the right, you can see the simulator. On the left how it looks in reveal.

Thanks for the information. We'll try and reproduce here. It would be really helpful if you could include the view hierarchy outline view on the left-hand side of your screen shot. Could you also please make sure that the canvas is in 2D mode and that you have Display Hidden Views unselected in the canvas menu.

I was able to track this down a bit further for you: When viewing in 3D mode and shifting the screenshot in your app a bit, I can select individual views as expected. However in 2D mode that's not possible.

In 2D mode the views are effectively stacked up on top of one another, so when you select one it'll select the top most view in the Z-plane. If this is not the correct view (i.e. the view you actually want to select is below the one you clicked on) you can progressively select view down the Z-axis by pressing ⌘ when you click. Each ⌘ Click will select the next view down, and if you press ⌘⇧Click, Reveal will select the next view up the Z-axis.

It looks as you accidentally don't regard the existence of invisible views.

You can toggle the presence of hidden views in the canvas area by pressing ⌘6, or Canvas > Display Hidden Views from the menu. Hidden views are considered to be UIViews whose 'hidden' flag is True or where alpha ==0.

For instance, there is a UITextEffectsWindow on top of all windows/views

Yes, iOS 8 introduces a UITextEffectsWindow that it places above you application's window. It is not considered a hidden view because it's alpha is 1 and it's hidden flag is not True.

and very time when I select any position on the screenshot in Reveal, it just selects this UITextEffectsWindow instead of the underlying main View, NavigationBar etc. I clicked on.

You can use the technique described above to select views below the UITextEffectsWindow, or alternately, you can drill down in to your application's UIWindow by double clicking it in the outline view. This will effectively remove the UITextEffectsWindow from the canvas.

So I would suggest to ignore such "technical" views, which are generated by iOS automatically when looking for the view where a user clicked.

Reveal 1.5 will include a feature to explicitly not display the UITextEffectsWindow in the canvas.

It also seems you don't regard the hidden and enabled flags of the views when looking for the selected view.

I hope the descriptions above have clarified how we handle hidden views.

Cheers

Sean

4. 4 Posted by marcus.roskosch on 10 Oct, 2014 07:23 AM

Hi Sean,

thanks for your quick response. I am currently in the middle of a
    rollout and will provide the details during the next days.

I wish you and your team a nice weekend and I really appreciate your
    responsiveness.

Best regards and talk to you soon,

Marcus

Sean Woodhouse wrote:

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Sean Woodhouse on 12 Oct, 2014 09:40 PM

No problems. Hope you're having a good weekend too :)

Cheers

Sean

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Sean Woodhouse on 10 Feb, 2015 12:31 AM

Hey Marcus,

Just a quick note to let you know we shipped Reveal 1.5 last week. Among other things it includes the ability to explicitly hide the UITextEffectsWindow and inspect auto layout constraints.

I hope that care and attention given to this release is apparent, and we'll continue to improve Reveal in similar ways.

Thanks again for all your feedback!

Cheers

Sean

7. 7 Posted by Marcus Roskosch... on 03 Jul, 2015 12:01 PM

Marcus Roskosch - (creating-your-App.de)'s Avatar

Hi,
    I am no longer using your App. I am happy with the new features built in Xcode. That's all great and working as expected other than your App.
    Regards,
    Marcus

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Sean Woodhouse on 04 Jul, 2015 01:04 AM

Hi Marcus,

Apologies for the previous message. Looks like some spam got through the filter and has been removed now.

I have to say, I'm surprised you're finding the built in View Debugger sufficient given the improvements you were suggesting for Reveal, but thanks for letting us know.

Cheers

Sean

9. Sean Woodhouse closed this discussion on 04 Jul, 2015 01:04 AM.

10. Marcus Roskosch (creating-your-app.de) re-opened this discussion on 04 Jul, 2015 05:15 AM

11. 9 Posted by Marcus Roskosch... on 04 Jul, 2015 05:15 AM

Marcus Roskosch (creating-your-app.de)'s Avatar

Hi Sean,
    No Problem.
    Yes, that's usually all you need as developer. It let's me inspect view hierarchies, odd view placements and even shows me the exact view class and address so it is very easy to locate in code. I also love the ability to 3d turn or tilt the views which was previously only the case in your app.
    Thanks anyway,
    Best regards,
    Marcus

12. Sean Woodhouse closed this discussion on 06 Jul, 2015 11:34 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac