The request timed out almost every time I debug on a device

colinhumber

14 Dec, 2017 06:02 PM

Probably close to 90% of the time I'm debugging on a device I get a "The request timed out" error. It never happens when debugging with the simulator. I've tried running on iOS 10 and 11, and 10 sometimes works, but 11 fails almost every time.

I'm using Reveal 13.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Tony Arnold on 16 Dec, 2017 02:31 AM

Hello Colin,

Sorry to hear this.

We added this as a debugging override in Reveal 9: IBAHierarchyRequestTimeout

To use a longer timeout:

1. Quit Reveal if it is running
    2. In your terminal, enter defaults write com.ittybittyapps.Reveal2 IBAHierarchyRequestTimeout 60 (where 60 is the number of seconds you would like Reveal to wait before timing out)
    3. Re-launch Reveal and connect to your app.

If you ever need to revert the settings, simply execute defaults delete com.ittybittyapps.Reveal2 IBAHierarchyRequestTimeout in your terminal.

I'd be very interested to hear if this helps with the issues you are seeing. If it doesn't, would you be willing to share some information about your view hierarchy?

Thanks,

Tony

2. 2 Posted by colinhumber on 16 Dec, 2017 04:38 AM

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the info! I’ll give it a go when I’m back in the office and
    report back.

Cheers,
    Colin

3. 3 Posted by colinhumber on 19 Dec, 2017 08:50 PM

Hey Tony,

Just had a chance to test this out and increasing the timeout worked like a charm. That said, as of iOS 11 there do seem to be more auto layout constraint issues that have popped up and are being displayed in the console. Our hierarchy isn't too intense: a split view with a table view in both the master and details panels, and the cell hierarchies aren't too intense. I can upload a saved debug session that took about 15-20 seconds to load if that would help.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Tony Arnold on 19 Dec, 2017 10:05 PM

Hi Colin, the saved debug session (I assume you're talking about a Reveal snapshot file?) would be very helpful if you're happy to share it. I'm interested to see what's taking all of the time. Thanks!

5. 5 Posted by colinhumber on 19 Dec, 2017 10:14 PM

Yup, of course. Hope it helps!

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Tony Arnold on 27 Dec, 2017 12:51 PM

Thanks Colin - I'll take a look at this when I am back from leave. I appreciate you providing the additional info!

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac