Can't see UI Elements in Canvas

csessions

12 Jun, 2017 03:55 PM

I can see elements in the hierarchy list in the left pane, but the middle pane appears to be empty. However, when I click around in the center pane, elements are being selected in the left pane hierarchy list. I've clicked 'Reset View', and toggled all the options in the center pane, but it seems like the UI elements are are invisible. Tried on two separate projects, and behavior is the same. Using Version 8 (9667) trial version. Thx.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Tony Arnold on 12 Jun, 2017 09:45 PM

Hello,

I'm going to go out on a limb here (because I've seen this myself) - are you running macOS on an unlicensed PC with an Nvidia GPU? (ie. Hackintosh)

If so, you will need to get in contact with, and ask for support from Nvidia. Their drivers have been broken since Apple released macOS Sierra - you can see this in action elsewhere: open a book in iBooks, launch and try to instrument one of your apps from within Xcode's Instruments.

Please let me know if my guess is not the case.

thanks,

Tony

2. 2 Posted by csessions on 12 Jun, 2017 10:09 PM

Hey Tony

Wow that was some guess! That's exactly what I'm running. Unfortunately my iMac and MBP are both dead at the moment or I would have checked on a second machine. I will go bug Nvidia. Will check out Reveal again as soon as I'm able — it looks awesome.

Thanks!
    Chris

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Tony Arnold on 12 Jun, 2017 10:13 PM

Hi Chris,

I've been there myself :)

Depending on your setup, I had success setting up my integrated Intel GPU as the primary GPU in my BIOS, and configuring it so that it was visible to macOS (with no display attached). macOS is smart enough to fall back to the iGPU for things like Metal and other kinds of acceleration if they don't work properly on your dedicated GPU.

You should have a search of http://tonymacx86.com - that's where I got my information from for this issue.

thanks,

Tony

4. Tony Arnold closed this discussion on 12 Jun, 2017 10:13 PM.

5. csessions re-opened this discussion on 12 Jun, 2017 10:15 PM

6. 4 Posted by csessions on 12 Jun, 2017 10:15 PM

Cool, good to know that macOS can fall back on the iGPU. I'll look into it.

Thanks again for your help.

7. Tony Arnold closed this discussion on 12 Jun, 2017 10:37 PM.

8. csessions re-opened this discussion on 12 Jun, 2017 10:40 PM

9. 5 Posted by csessions on 12 Jun, 2017 10:40 PM

Hi again Tony,

Based on your feedback, I found a fix for Instruments at https://stackoverflow.com/questions/41470684/using-xcode-instrument....

I tried the same approach to my trial copy of Reveal (codesign -f -s - /Applications/Reveal.app/), but got a "This copy of Reveal is damaged" message when I tried to open it.

Do you think the workaround would work on a paid version of Reveal?

Thanks!
    - Chris

10. Support Staff 6 Posted by Tony Arnold on 12 Jun, 2017 10:43 PM

Hi Chris,

No, sadly it will not, and it actually doesn't work properly on Xcode either. You're not going to be able to submit apps using that copy of Xcode now, and there may be other flow-on effects to signed tools within Xcode.

Your options are basically:

1. Get the iGPU working
    2. Buy and install a Radeon GPU
    3. Buy a licensed Mac

Oh, and wait for Nvidia to work with Apple to fix the issue with their drivers.

It's part of why I'm in the process of selling my Hack Pro - it's fast, but I just spend too much time fixing things rather than working.

Best of luck!

Tony

11. 7 Posted by csessions on 12 Jun, 2017 10:50 PM

Got it, okay thanks. Yes when my Hackintosh is my last machine standing, I really have to stop and wonder what's going on. : )

Many thanks for all your help.

12. Tony Arnold closed this discussion on 13 Jun, 2017 11:17 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac