External Display Support?

Samuel Franz

26 May, 2017 08:10 PM

I'm curious, is there any ability to use reveal to show what is being shown on the external display you're connected to?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Vlas Voloshin on 28 May, 2017 06:27 AM

Hi Samuel,

Unfortunately, at the moment Reveal does not support inspecting view hierarchy of windows displayed on non-main screens. It's something that has been on our "to do" list for a while now – and I'll add your voice to the feature request. Thanks for the feedback!

Best regards,
    Vlas.

2. 2 Posted by sam.franz on 02 Jun, 2017 08:50 PM

I really do appreciate the response. It's a little disappointing to find a similar issue named: "Airplay / HDMI Second Screen Support". Also that you're response was that it would be "something we'll support in a future release". Well, it's been four years since that was asked and realistically do you think this will ever come out? If not then I'll definitely stop asking and that's fine, but each update I get excited that it might finally support it only to be disappointed.

I really do appreciate the help you provide. Just understand it's a feature that would be very crucial to our development work with my team.

Hope you have a lovely day,
    Samuel

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Tony Arnold on 04 Jun, 2017 11:54 PM

Hi Sam,

Well, it's been four years since that was asked and realistically do you think this will ever come out?

I'm Tony, the lead developer on Reveal. Just to give you a bit of context: we're a small team. We do our best, but there's definitely a limit to how many improvements we can make at any one time, so we tend to prioritise widely used SDK features such as auto layout, layout guides and similar elements of the iOS SDK.

Do I realistically think that multiple display support will happen? I'd love for it to, and it is documented in the backlog of potential future features in our issue tracker (issue #1048 if you ever want to enquire about it in future) - but it's not scheduled for any release right now.

Would you mind giving me some detail about how you're using external displays so that I can factor that into our documentation for that enhancement request that I mentioned?

thanks,

Tony

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac