Inspect iOS apps on iOS 10

Joshua

15 Mar, 2017 10:31 PM

Hi there
I am trying to copy RevealServer.framework to /System/Library/Frameworks using Filza (because openssh isn't compatible with ios 10)
but I get an error saying that the volume is read only.
(I am trying to follow the steps given here http://petersteinberger.com/blog/2013/how-to-inspect-the-view-hiera...)

Is there an easier way to inspect apps on iOS 10?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Vlas Voloshin on 15 Mar, 2017 11:19 PM

Hi Joshua!

Sounds like you're trying to use Reveal to inspect third-party apps on a jailbroken device. This use case is not officially supported by Reveal, and I'm afraid we don't provide technical support for issues related to this. However, the issue you're describing doesn't seem to be related to Reveal itself. You probably need to check that your device is jailbroken and you have unlocked the correct file permissions to modify the file system of your device.

Please note that Peter Steinberger's article is back from 2013, and it describes using Reveal v.1.x, while the current version of Reveal that we sell and maintain is Reveal v.7. There may be some incompatibilities in using Reveal v.2 and newer when attempting to use it for inspecting third-party apps. So if you'd like to try Reveal 1.6.3 instead, you can download it from here. A free trial is included. If you believe you need a license for Reveal 1.6.3, we can downgrade your Reveal 2+ license.

Best regards,
    Vlas.

2. 2 Posted by Joshua on 15 Mar, 2017 11:26 PM

I am using 1.6.3, but the iphone doesn't appear in the "File>Connect to" list.
    My question in other words could be: Does getting RevealServer.framework to /System/Library/Frameworks allow the Reveal app to inspect apps on iOS 10?
    Thanks

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Vlas Voloshin on 16 Mar, 2017 12:10 AM

Joshua,

In order to use Reveal 1.6.3 to inspect an already compiled app, the dynamic library of Reveal Server (libReveal.dylib) must be loaded by that app. The ways this is achieved to inspect third-party apps are up to you, though. Peter Steinberger's article mentions copying libReveal.dylib onto the device, which seems to be the main requirement. I don't actually know why it also mentions copying RevealServer.framework, since in Reveal 1.6.3 RevealServer.framework is not a "real" framework and can only be linked statically during the build process. So I don't think that dropping that "framework" onto the device should be necessary or would work on itself.

Best regards,
    Vlas.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac