UIAlerts not shown?

Ken Corey

11 Oct, 2013 12:47 PM

Hi All,

I have inherited an iOS app in which the developers have tried to ape Android's toast methods. They have created a class that subclasses UIAlertView (yes, I know the documentation says not to do that) with no buttons, then they create an invisible button the size of the screen and overlay everything.

The concept is that the dialog is self-dismissed after the time limit, but that if the user clicks anywhere on the screen the dialog is dismissed.

In the example below, I clicked on '02-Before I Fall In Love'. On the iPhone 5C, a dialog appears explaining that the track will be played at a later date. In Reveal, the dialog doesn't appear.

So, do UIAlerts really not show up in Reveal under iOS 7?

-Ken

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Sean Woodhouse on 12 Oct, 2013 02:05 AM

Unfortunately Apple removed the UIAlertView from the application's view hierarchy in iOS 7, so there doesn't appear to be a way for us to display them. Apple also seem to have pulled back from supporting customisation of alert views, contrary to what they announced at WWDC. Painful I know, but there are easier ways to achieve the effect the original developers were trying to achieve than using UIAlertView.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Sean Woodhouse on 15 Nov, 2013 02:06 AM

3. Sean Woodhouse closed this discussion on 15 Nov, 2013 02:06 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac